Urinary Disorders

Percentage of Failed Stenting of Renal Artery

07/30/2009

Question:

I had a stent inserted in April and a follow up doppler. It showed only 60% flow. I`m concerned about repeating this process, which I feel the doctor is heading towards.

Answer:

Renal artery stenosis can commonly cause impairment of kidney function and/or high blood pressure. I am not what was the indication for stenting in your case. Currently, the success rates of renal artery stenting are reasonable high in carefully selected cases; would depend on factors such as the type of narrowing (localized versus diffuse), length of narrowed segment and the site of the narrowing (mid artery or ostium where the artery branches off). The need for restenting would depend on the clinical significance/effects of this narrowing rather than being based only on the lumen of the artery or flow rate.

I am unable to provide you further detaled suggestions based on the limited information provided on your mail. If you wanted to consider another option (if you would need further treatment based on your clinical situation), you should consult with a urologist or vascular surgeon who is experienced in and deals with renovascular surgery (such as shunts). This is not something done routinely by most urologists since the advent of vascular interventional techniques such as stenting. I would suggest that you discuss this issue with your primary physician/nephrologist and then proceed accordingly.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Krishnanath  Gaitonde, MD Krishnanath Gaitonde, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Urology