Athletic Training

Burning Leg Pain

07/27/2009

Question:

I am not an athlete, but I thought this was the most appropriate space to post my question. When I am walking, I sometimes feel a burning pain in my legs, the left one more than the right which makes me have to slow down or stop. I usually walk fast but this problem only happens sometimes. It is very painful, a burning sensation all over my leg. I don`t know if it`s the bone or the muscle that hurts, it feels as if it were the bone. What is the possible cause of this? How can I treat it? Thank you.

Answer:

Commonly, pain that is described as "burning" by patients is related to nerve pain.  The symptoms you describe sound like nerve pain that could be originating from a back/spine dysfunction.  Based on what you describe, you should be evaluated by an orthopaedic specialist before attempting to treat your symptoms.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Mike  Sypniak, MS, ATC Mike Sypniak, MS, ATC
Assistant Athletic Trainer