Eye and Vision Care

Clear Bump on Eye

08/06/2009

Question:

I have a clear( i guess bump) on the white part of my eye. Can you please explain to me what this maybe be. There is no redness, my vision is the same, and I have no redness. But, my sinus was acting up terribly this morning and I kept rubbing my eyes like crazy and I believe I was wearing a week old pair of contacts.

Answer:

It sounds like you may have a retention cyst on the white part of your eye (the conjunctiva). Retention cysts are clear, fluid-filled sacs that may come about due to irritation or rubbing of the eye. Usually retention cysts require no treatment and resolve on their own. However, if the bump remains on the white part of your eye and is causing irritation, redness, or if you notice a decrease in vision, it is important you schedule an appointment with your eye doctor for further evaluation.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry