COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Can I Be a Lung Transplant Recipient?

08/06/2009

Question:

I am 65 yrs old and have been referred to the Cleveland Clinic for lung transplant. I had a left upper lobectomy 7 years ago for cancer. After surgery I was on a ventilator for 5 days. I am currently on oxygen and suffering with severe angina. I live with a smoker, but I try to spend most of my time in my bedroom. He just refuses to understand the meaning of 2nd hand smoke, even though he`s in remission. I also have type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis.

Answer:

It is difficult to tell whether you will qualify for lung transplant based on the information you provide. However, it seems reasonable to investigate and it does seem that option could offer some hope.

Cleveland Clinic has a great deal of experience and is an excellent transplant center. They will be able to tell you whether or not you could benefit from lung transplant.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine