Gynecology

Papilloma

08/31/2009

Question:

I just recently had an appointment with my ophthalmologist. I have a small bump, that I`ve had for over a year, on the bottom of my eye on the edge where women usually put their eye liner. The doctor said it was probably just a papilloma and he would monitor it. Nothing has changed but if you had a papilloma on your eye does that mean you have HPV? And if it`s in the eye that is an entirely different case then genital HPV, am I correct? I heard papilloma and instantly thought HPV. The doctor said it doesn`t look cancerous so there should be no need to go to my OBGYN, correct? Past Pap smears have come back normal.

Answer:

Papilloma refers to a projection of epithelium on the skin. It doesn't necessarily refer to HPV. HPV causes a specific type of papilloma that is confined to the genital tract. As long as your Paps are normal, these papilliomas do not signal any other risks.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education