Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Bump on Hard Palate

08/03/2009

Question:

For 4 months now I`ve had a hard bump under the skin on my hard palate which feels like bone. Obviously i was concerned and went to my dentist yesterday who told me that`s exactly what it was. But i was just wondering should she have done a biopsy? Or was she able 2 tell from look and touch alone that it was nothing 2 worry about?

Answer:

What you are describing sounds like a relatively common "growth" of the hard palate called a torus or exostosis. Most often, a palatal torus develops on or near the midline of the hard palate in adult patients. Because they are hard and the skin over them is thin, rough or coarse foods may scrape against them and cause an ulcer (sore), but they are usually completely asymptomatic. They typically grow slowly over time; yet only rarely become so large that they need to be removed or surgically trimmed.

In most cases, a clinical diagnosis of torus (what was provided by your dentist) would be sufficient, together with follow-up evaluation at your next or annual dental visit. Unless you experience pain or notice rapid enlargement of this bump, biopsy would not be considered necessary except to provide you with additional peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology