Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Diminished Sensation in the Penis

08/06/2009

Question:

I am a 40 year old male and have little to no feeling in my penis (shaft or head) during sex. I can orgasm with no problem, but the sensations are just no there while having sex (oral or intercourse). At times (not all the time) there is even a numb feeling in the groin area. I even had my wife touch a pin to my penis while I looked away to see if I could feel it. I couldn`t until she was pressing firmly. This has been the same since as far back as I can remember. Just looking to find out what I can do, if anything.

Answer:

What you are describing is lack of dermal skin sensation. This could be related to a neurological problem that can be either central or peripheral neuropathy. This should be explored by a neurologist familiar with your condition. An MRI of the spine may also be helpful to detect the problem. CT scan of the pelvis may also be helpful. Lack of sensation while erectile and ejaculatory function still intact is more or less a sign of peripheral neuropathy such as diabetes, etc.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery