Colorectal Diseases

IBS (severe diahera,vomiting and dehydration)

08/03/2009

Question:

i`ve had ibs for a long time,but i have noticed it has become worse as i get older.. i go to the bathroom 3/4 times in the am..(everyday).but, recently i have had severe diahrea to where i`m vomiting at the same time.sometimes the diahrea last for 2/3 hrs at a time.. and i have lots of mucus..they have also removed 5 polyps..so, my question is has my ibs gotten worse??and what should i do?? after an episode of this, it takes me 2/3 days b4 i can have a bowel movement and i get consipated.. most of the time it is scary to me..

Answer:

Your symptoms may be consistent with IBS, although the vomiting would be unusual. As long as you are being followed closely by a gastroenterologist, who is periodically examining your colon for polyps, your symptoms may all be due to IBS. Try adding a fiber supplement to your diet, such as powdered psyllium, to see if you can regulate things somewhat.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division