Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Voice projection

08/12/2009

Question:

What could be the problem if I am having trouble projecting my voice? When I try to project my voice (ex. speaking to a neighbor across the street) my throat seems to start straining and my voice cuts off.

Answer:

You could be describing a lot of minor problems.  You are not really describing projecting your voice.  You are really describing yelling, for most people.  This is a form of voice abuse.  You may have some mild swelling of the vocal cords which will cause your voice to cut off.  The best recommendation I can make is that you see an ear, nose and throat specialist so that your vocal cords can be inspected to make sure that you do not have something more serious affecting your vocal cords.  You could try voice rest for a while to see if the voice improves on its own.  Good luck with this problem.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Keith M Wilson, MD Keith M Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Head and Neck Division