Cold and Flu

Flu

08/03/2009

Question:

my partner has had his chemo stopped because he became very ill with phneumonia 3.5 into 6 ecx chemos he was in hospital 4 weeks,he is doing very well because having no chemo has made him stronger and stronger,but i wanted to know is we were at any higher risk of getting swine flu or any flu,and it then turning into phneumonia,

Answer:

I do not have enough medical information to answer your question. I recommend that you and your partner ask your personal physicians your question. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that people from ages 25 through 64 years who are at higher risk for novel H1N1 because of chronic health disorders or compromised immune systems receive H1N1 influenza vaccine when it becomes available. I have not heard the recommendations for this year's seasonal influenza vaccine.

Go to the Cold and Flu health topic, where you can:

John  Andrews, MD, MPH John Andrews, MD, MPH
Assistant Senior Vice President Medical Center
Director University Health Services