Kidney Diseases

Hypercalciuria in 8 yr old

08/06/2009

Question:

My daughter recently passed a kidney stone in the ER. She is 8 yrs old and is small for her age. She was finaly diagnosed with Hypercalciuria and has been put on a strict diet. We are also going to meet with a Genetics specialist at some point because my husbands side of the family has PKD, my husband being the carrier this time. My husband has had a fair share of kidney stones himeself in the last 5 years. My question is, the Hpercalciuria, is it considered a kidney disease and can it cause problems with the growth in my child? My daughter just started meeting the growth charts last year. She weighs 60 lbs & her height is below normal.

Answer:

Kidney stones seem to be more common now compared with 20 years ago. The cause is unclear, although diet may be playing a role. Hypercalciuria is the most common cause of kidney stones in children. Treatment will not affect her growth or development. I do not think it is related to your family history of PKD. Increasing fluid intake significantly may reduce the risk of forming another kidney stone considerably.

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology