Colorectal Diseases

Reoccurring perirectal abscess

08/27/2009

Question:

My husband a 44 year old diabetic (controlled well with oral medication QD) Has been having re-ocurring peri rectal abscess he has had 4 surgeries from March to July and has had antibiotic treatment 5 times now. 2 days after the last treatment of Cipro 500mg BID another abscess has appeared today the surgeon stated start Cipro 250mg BID and if not better in 2 days meet me in the ER for lancing again. I am really getting concernedabout this and this not ever really healing just keeps moving from location to location. One fistula was located 3 weeks ago and supposedly repaired and that is exactly where the spot is growing again.

Answer:

The most common cause of a recurrent perirectal abscess is a fistula, or an undiagnosed internal opening that continues to lead to infection of the abscess cavity. Perhaps another evaluation of the anal canal, under anesthesia, is in order; possibly a second opinion from a specialist in colon and rectal surgery would be in order as well.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division