Eye and Vision Care

Prescription Error or Lens Lab Error

09/08/2009

Question:

I`ve had prgressive lens for about 4 yrs. I got a new prescription and new sunglass and eyeglasses. My vision in both pairs is horrible. Nothing is crisp and I do better reading closeup without my new glasses. I want to wear my old glasses because I can at least see clearly. Question: How do I know if it is a "bad" prescription or if it is a "bad" lens job? I did not purchase my glasses from the same office who did my prescription. Both places are reputable. Any help with where to begin to resolve the dilemna would be helpful. For instance, in your opinion, is their a likely "culprit"? I do not want to bother my eye doctor about it, if the odds are that the prescription is right. Any advise you can give would be appreciated.

Answer:

It would be difficult to say what is the cause of the problem. My recommnedation would be to first visit the lab that dispensed your glasses and have them verify that the lenses were made correctly. If they do not determine the problem, then I would recommend scheduling with the doctor that wrote your presciption.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry