Thrice Failed Root Canal - Should I Extract?

08/13/2009

Question:

I had a root canal done in my 20s (I am now 52) when I was living in Cyprus in the Mediterranean. The job was done poorly and not the full extent of the root. The roots are very thin at the end and even though I have had the root canal redone twice, I keep getting infections. I have one again now and I am scheduled to see a specialist for a apicotomy (not sure of the spelling)to remove the tips of the roots. I am currently on very stong antibiotics and I feel terrible. Every time this tooth reinfects it affects my entire health, I feel tired for no reason, cannot exercise without exhaustion, and easily get colds and flu. I have also read that infection inside the root cannot be cleared up because there is no blood flow to reach the area, and the infection is potentially very serious, and can even lead to heart attack. I am tempted to just forgo the appt. and get the tooth pulled now, since it seems this tooth is just bad for my health. Is there any health benefit to doing another procedure?

Answer:

Please see the previously answered questions linked below to alleviate concerns of tooth problems affecting your systemic health.

I would keep your appointment with the endodontist and speak with him/her about your concerns as they field questions/concerns similar to yours every day. An apicoectomy is done to remove the infected part of the roots; antibiotics alone do not clear up tooth infections. Please visit the American Association of Endodontists for a description of an apicoectomy.   

Nausea and Vomiting After Root Canal
Dizziness After Root Canals
Root Canals and Autoimmune Disorders
Sick After Root Canal and Filling
Infection

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics