Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Nodes/parotid tumor

08/12/2009

Question:

I am a 34 year old female. I have a small, hard, painless, lump ( size of peanut m&m) in front of my ear, where the jaw bone opens and shuts, that has been there for years. A couple of years ago it grew a little but hasn`t since. Doctors through the years haven`t said much about it. Went to ENT (for unrelated solved issue) and he wants to remove it and told me about parotid tumors. Since the appt. I have read about it and now feel worried since I have a small lump under my tongue on the floor of my mouth as well. It has been there about 6 mths but I never thought anything about it. Is there a way that my salivary glands are blocked or is this likely a mestatatis? I am most worried about myoesophogeal carcinoma (especially since I saw something that relates that to myesthania gravis- which I was diagnosed with during my pregnancy 6 years ago- but symptom free since my second child 3 years ago) Is this all possibly related and if they are going to remove the lump by my ear should I schedule them to remove the others at the same time? Thank you so much for your time.

Answer:

It is not unreasonable to remove these lumps and bumps, since this is the best way to determine their histology. Your ENT should have done a complete head and neck exam and should be able to tell you if they are related.  Make certain you feel comfortable with him/her, and feel free to ask questions.  Good luck.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Yash J Patil, MD Yash J Patil, MD
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology