Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Ruptured Vein in Palm of Hand - Painful Knot

08/18/2009

Question:

This subject was addressed as an answer to the below question. However, in my case the vein has formed a very painful knot about 3 mm wide and is visible as a bump. It is very painful to grasp an object if the knot is in contact with it. My doctor said not to worry about it and that it may calcify. Meanwhile, I am in pain and wonder if there is anything that I can do to alleviate the pain. I have had episodes like this in my fingers about once a year. I am 75 years old.

The quoted previous question is: Recently my wife, age 56, apparently ruptured a vein in the palm of her hand while opening a jar (with little force). Symptoms were spontanous an intense itching sensation in the area, no reported pain, and an observable hematoma in the hand. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The previous incident occurred elsewhere on her arm w/o any known trauma. Is this something that needs to be checked out with her physician? Is this indicative of varicose veins? What diagnostic tests would be used? Thanks for your response.

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/56215.htm

Answer:

It is really difficult to really say very much specific without being able to examine and talk with you. It could be something related to a vein or even a cyst on a nerve that is causing the pain. I would encourage you to speak to your physician again if it does not get better on its own shortly. I'm sorry I cannot give any detailed advice, but that is really not possible in this forum. 

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine