Urinary Disorders

Pus Cells

08/25/2009

Question:

My dad, age 52, has pus cells which keeps on inreasing and decreasing.  He is taking treatment in the hospital.  He had kidney stones 4mm but now with the help of glucose it has gone away, but the infection is still there. I want to ask, why is it happening again and again. He also had a stone in his gall bladder 20mm, but th is silent. First the pus cells were 25-30. Then they were increased to 50-60. Then 60-70.  When we admitted him into the hospital yesterday pus cells were only 14-15, but today they are 25-26. We don`t know why the level is increasing. I`m very tense about my dad`s condition.  What could cause all these changes in his levels?  Thanks in anticipation.

Answer:

The number of white blood cells in the urine on any one voided specimen is not the problem. The question is why he has WBCs(what you call pus cells) in the first place. WBCs are indicative of an infection. He needs to be evaluated by a urologist to find the source.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Marc F Cymes, PA Marc F Cymes, PA
Clinical Instructor of Urology