Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Lump in Top of Mouth Near Throat

08/21/2009

Question:

I have a large lump in my mouth which has been growing since I was about 18. I went to see a specialist at the hospital who just plain scared me silly to the point where I got an apology from her senior, She suggested I have an MRI and a Biopsy but did not give me any ideas as to what it might be, this was two years ago, it has not increased in size since then is occasionally painful, is about 2cm round and extens 1-2cm into my mouth it is more than halfway back of my palate on my right, it feels quite "springy" and is not discoloured or hard. I understand you cannot make a Diagnosis and I will go back but I just need some ideas of what it could be.

Answer:

From your description it is very difficult to diagnose your condition. There are numerous "swellings that can present on the palate. From your question it is difficult to determine if the lesion is on the hard or soft palate. That is an important distinction as far as possible lesions. 

I would recommend that you visit an oral surgeon or an oral pathologist. Either of these dentists should be able to identify the lesion or refer you to someone who can. I would do this promptly as some of these lesions can be serious and lead to some destruction of the bone. 

You should visit the dentist as soon as possible.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry