Digestive Disorders

Laproscopic Surgery

08/31/2009

Question:

I have been diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia, mutiple Gallstones and bleeding polyps in my stomach. I went to a surgeon and he said he does do laproscopic surgery but said 25% of patients have a failure to this procedure where as open stomach surgery, he has had only one return in 20 years he has been a surgeon. He said he would want to do open stomach surgery to remove the gallstones and to repair the hiatal hernia. My question is do you think it`s bet to have the open stomach surgery or do I could I go with the laproscopy? How long do you think I would be in pain and not able to take care of myself? I am really nervous about this procedure. Thanks for your help in this matter.

Answer:

You will have to base your decision on the skill set of the surgeon. Sometimes surgeons who are very good laparoscopists can do difficult operation without large incisions. If you surgeon is not comfortable doing difficult cases laparoscopically, then I would go for an open procedure. This approach may be safer for you. Typically the total recovery time for something like this is around 3-4 weeks.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Syed A Ahmad, MD Syed A Ahmad, MD
Associate Professor of Surgery