Athletic Training

Bike Riding

08/18/2009

Question:

I have ra and sometype of arthritis in my lower back. I leaned over my desk and my back locked and I felt something scrunching in my lower back and then it unlocked. My doctor told me that it was caused by my ligaments in my lower back. I also asked him about start riding my bike again. He told me that I need to have a hot shower and do some stretching before I go for my bike ride. I have some problems doing somethings because of my arthrtis. What kind of stretches might be good for this?

Answer:

I would start with some general gentle hamstring stretching. Lie on your back, with legs lying flat on floor, lift one leg up and grab behind the knee trying to keep both legs straight. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 3x. 

Next, from the lying flat position I would bring one knee to your chest and grab behind the knee. Hold for 3-5 seconds then repeat 10x. 

The third exercise would be to bring both knees to your chest, holding under the knees for 3-5 seconds.  Again repeat 10x. 

All of these will stretch the muscles that work on your pelvis and low back and you should see some improvements. If you are still having problems, I would recommend a visit to your local health care provider who can instruct you on a more individualized program to meet your needs.  

Good luck. 

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Chalisa   Fonza, MA, ATC Chalisa Fonza, MA, ATC
Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professionals