Urinary Disorders

Passing of Blood in Urine After Ureterscopy

08/26/2009

Question:

I have had a ureterscopy in day care at a local hospital on 27th July becasue a stone ws dicovered in the ureter. I was passing blood for the first four days and then it stopped. I started passing blood again after about three days and have been passing blood each time I go to wee. The doctor prescribed antibiotics on Tuesday and today is Friday evening and I am siill passing blood. How long do you think that I should expect to keep passing blood in the urine? Incidentally, a stent was put in the ureter and it has to be taken out on 10th September. Thanks and regards.

Answer:

It is not uncommon to have some blood in the urine while you have a stent in the ureter. Checking a urinalysis with your doctor can also be helpful to rule out an infection. The bleeding may be from the stent and should resolve once the stent is removed.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology