Infertility

Infertility

08/18/2009

Question:

I am 23 years old and I am worried that I do not ovulate. We want to start trying to get pregnant in a year or so but I have always had a fear that I wouldn`t be able to. I have been reading about cervical mucus and how it is a good indicator of ovulation. When I was a teen I remember having this type of discharge. I was on birth control for two years and have been off of it since April of this year. I have not noticed any discharge. I am overweight and have gained alot in the past year. If I am not ovulating due to my weight can I start ovulating again if I lose the weight?

Answer:

Most people with menstrual cycles 28-32 days are ovulating. A urine ovulation predictor kit used on day 10 to 14 will usually pick of the LH surge that occurs the day before ovulation. Fertility is highest on the day of the LH surge and on the day of ovulation. Women who have menstrual cycles 40 days or longer in length are often not ovulating. This can be related to weight, and so losing weight can often shorten period length and increase fertility. Losing weight now is an excellent idea. When you are ready to get pregnant, your gynecologist can determine if you are ovulating and give you medication if you are not.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology