Lung Cancer

Lung nodules

08/31/2009

Question:

I was told I have nodules on my lungs. I was CT the 2nd time w/no contrast and it showed that the nodules had grown by 1/4 in size. Then I lost my job and could not get my next CT done. I have had some very small amounts of blood in my sputum which has all but stopped now. I might see a small spot now and then. I got a new job and have insurance again so I went to a new doctor (regular MD) and she had a CT with contrast and it does not show nodules. My question is, My mom went to her lung specialist and he said that nodules will not show up w/contrast, is this true and should I be retested without the contrast? Very concerned. I have been a smoker for 40 years. I recently quit. I have also had some pain in my back by my lower lung where the nodules are, is this related? Hope you can help me.

Answer:

We can see most nodules with contrast; however, contrast isn't necessary.  I don't think your pain is related to nodules.  The lung itself does not have sensation.  

I do think you should have the blood checked out.  I would recommend seeing a lung specialist or an ENT to check that out.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery