Lung Cancer

Lung nodules

I was told I have nodules on my lungs. I was CT the 2nd time w/no contrast and it showed that the nodules had grown by 1/4 in size. Then I lost my job and could not get my next CT done. I have had some very small amounts of blood in my sputum which has all but stopped now. I might see a small spot now and then. I got a new job and have insurance again so I went to a new doctor (regular MD) and she had a CT with contrast and it does not show nodules. My question is, My mom went to her lung specialist and he said that nodules will not show up w/contrast, is this true and should I be retested without the contrast? Very concerned. I have been a smoker for 40 years. I recently quit. I have also had some pain in my back by my lower lung where the nodules are, is this related? Hope you can help me.

We can see most nodules with contrast; however, contrast isn't necessary.  I don't think your pain is related to nodules.  The lung itself does not have sensation.  

I do think you should have the blood checked out.  I would recommend seeing a lung specialist or an ENT to check that out.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery