Children's Health

My daughter seems to have a second tongue?

08/27/2009

Question:

my daughter is four months old and a few days after we brought her home we noticed she had in indent in the base of her spine finding out later she has the spine abifida occluta the most minor form of it. but just today we noticed when she was crying that she has what seems to be a second tongue under her tongue its tiny more like a little flap and attaches in the middle with that little peice of skin that they sometimes cut if a person is tongue tied but she can move both sides of that underneith tongue. is there a connecton between the two or reason that may have caused this or issues she may have?

Answer:

You seem to be asking two questions: 1.) Is spina bifida occulta associated with other physical differences, deformities, or problems, and 2.) an extra bit of tissue under the tongue. The short answer is probably not. Both conditions are functional differences (don't cause any problem) from absolutely "normal". Please remember that "normal" is a tricky term, a wide range of things that may be unusual to you or your family/friends may be considered medically "normal". For more information regarding spina bifida occulta, refer to the following website from the Spina Bifida Association. http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/site/c.liKWL7PLLrF/b.2700275/k.5F64/Spina_Bifida_Occulta.htm As long as your daughter is able to feed without problems and is getting regular well child checks with your pediatric health care professional, the skin flap beneath her tongue should not be an issue.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing