Breast Cancer

Milk secretion from breast

08/27/2009

Question:

I HAD MY LAST CHILD 5YRS AGO. 4 YRS BACK ONLY STOPPED BREAST FEEDING. NOW I AM 34 YRS OLD. SUDDENTLY MILK IS COMING FROM MY BREAST WHEN I PRESS IT. I WENT TO GYNIC AND SHE SUGGESTED SOME TESTS LIKE MAMMOGRAM, TYROID TEST,AND CT SCAN BRAIN. EVERYTHING IS NORMAL. I AM NOT PREGNANT ALSO. 2YRS BACK MY MOTHER GOT BREAST CANCER AND NOW SHE IS OK. I AM WORRIED. IS THERE ANY PROBLEM IN ME. THANK U

Answer:

This is generally not something that cancer causes.  It sounds like you have had appropriate testing.  Thyroid abnormalities, pregnancy, and a benign brain tumor called a prolactinoma may cause this.  I know you have had a CT of the brain, and the only other test that may be helpful would be a prolactin level.  You should be screened regularly, however, given your mother's diagnosis.  Screening consists of annual mammograms beginning at age 40 and breast exams by your doctor (which should be occurring now).  Breast self-examination is optional.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery