Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Lung diseases




My mom recnetly went to the doctors to get a CT scan on her lungs and they found a lump on her lung. She has been smoking all her life and she is a chronic drinker. What does that mean and what should be done?


Spots in the lung are common. When one is detected, a number is question arise that help determine how concerned we should be: is it new? What are its characteristics on the scan? Is the patient at risk for cancer due to a smoking history? If there are concerns, then a repeat scan is obtained or a biopsy is attempted. The biopsy approach depends on the size and location of the mass. Options include needle biopsy with CT scan guidance, bronchoscopy, or surgery. If surgery is considered, a minimally-invasive approach, such as VATS, is appropriate. My primary suggestion is that she should see a lung cancer specialist, either an oncologist, a pulmonologist, or a thoracic surgeon familiar with minimally-invasive thoracic surgery.

For more information:

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Michael F Reed, MD Michael F Reed, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati