Head and Neck Cancer

Strange Symptom

09/01/2009

Question:

After reviewing your list of different parts of the body, I had no idea where to direct my question (I was unable to ask a question under eye and vision), so I picked the only other thing that came close to my question. Lately I`ve noticed that my husband`s left eye is dilated much larger than the right eye off and on. I`ve done some research online and eliminated some of the usual reasons. He doesn`t have a concussion and he`s not taking any medication. About 5 years ago he had an MRI done because he was experiencing migraines and they found a 9mm pineal cyst. 6 months later the cyst had not grown so we were not worried about it and he rarely has migraines anymore. Could growth of this cyst cause pressure on an optic nerve? I`m nervous that the dilation of only one eye could be something serious. He also had a "right mazillary sinus lesion compatible with a mucous retention cyst (1.4 cm)" which I think is common. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Answer:

In response to your question (1) the right maxillary sinus retention cyst is not likely a factor in the issues at hand; (2) an opinion by opthalmology and neurology should be obtained.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery