Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Sub-lingual pain

08/26/2009

Question:

While yawning or straining with a heavy object, I feel pain under my tongue in front of the hyoid bone, slightly to my right. Feels like a gland is being squeezed or is wedged between 2 muscles. Pain goes away after a while. There is a pea-sized hard and mobile nodule under the tongue in the same area. After palpation and MRI, I was told the condition is unlikely to be a malignancy since the nodule is mobile. What else can I do?

Answer:

I would need to know more information to provide more directed advice. How long has this been occurring? How long has the nodule been there? Is the nodule tender to touch? The nodule could be excised but probably will not help with the pain. The pain is most commonly due to muscle strain and should resolve with time.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center