Runny Nose Since Having Front Tooth Filled

08/24/2009

Question:

I had my front tooth filled yesterday - novicaine given in gum just below right nostril. Since the time the novicaine wore off (over 24 hours ago), I have had a runny nose (like a waterfall!), constant sneezing and the sensation of a dry and/or cut inside the nose - will this go away or should I notify my dentist? I don`t have allergies - do not have a cold. This started right after the novicaine wore off.

Answer:

I would notify the dentist. It is not clear why this occurred, however. This would seem to be local anesthesia-related due to the timing, but the anesthetic does not actually go into the nose. There is a bony separation in the area of the nerve roots for the tooth. Perhaps there is some irritation of the nerves in that area, but I am at a loss to see how this would occur?? This may also be new onset of environmental allergies (allergic rhinitis) especially if you are prone to this at this time of year. There is a remote possibility that this is due to a dental infection but again, this is very unlikely.