Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Lumps Under Tongue

09/17/2009

Question:

I have just discovered two hard lumps, on the inside of my lower gums under my tongue, (approximately below the third tooth round from front on each side), both at the same place on either side, around 1/4 inch diameter each. Any idea what these could be? Thanks.

Answer:

There are many reasons for lumps in this area. From your description, it is most likely that these bones are called mandibular tori. They are found more often in females but can also be found in males. They are simply excess bone and could have been present for a period of time without you being aware of their presence.

If you do not feel that they are tori, they may be of some other origin. Most of these lesions are benign and have no serious consequences. However, some can be serious and need to be treated. Go to your dentist and have him/her diagnose the lesion.

If they are unsure, get a referral to an oral pathologist or to a surgeon who can biopsy the lesion. The dentist or the dental specialists will need to see you in order to diagnose your lesion.

Find an Oral Maxillofacial Pathologist Near You

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry