Healthy Weight Center

What Are Some Low Carb Diet Options?

08/28/2009

Question:

I recently lost and gained back weight. I`m 5`8" and currently 198 lbs. I would like to be at 150 lbs. I have found over the last couple of years that I am extremely carbohydrate sensitive. What would be your weight loss recommendation?

Answer:

I don't have your age, gender, or activity level, so I would start by going to ChooseMyPlate.gov, click on the SuperTracker on the right side of the site, and put this information into the window that pops up, along with your current height and weight. Since you are heavier than you should be for your height and want to lose weight, the window that pops up will probably ask you if you want to move to a healthier weight (lose weight). You do, so choose the option that will give you a calorie level and food plan that will enable you to do this.

A chart will appear that will tell you how many servings from each food group you should eat. Click on the individual food groups to see what foods are included. Always choose foods in their simplest form. These will be foods without added fat or sugar. The only carbs you should be eating are those naturally found in the original food. Choose nonfat or lowfat milk and cheese, vegetables that you can add the fat to yourself (and count the calories/fat servings of course), fruits without added sugar, and plain grains (rice, bread, cereal, pasta). Half of them should be whole grain because they have more fiber, and supply more essential nutrients than enriched grains.

Stay away from processed and sugar- and fat-added grains (cookies, cakes, doughnuts, pie crust etc). Eating more grains than is recommended and/or eating foods with processed sugar will trigger your body to produce excess insulin and take your blood sugar too low too quickly. You may become very hungry and perhaps even light-headed (carb sensitivity). So don't avoid carbs, but choose them wisely.

Eat regularly through the day (no longer than 5 hours between times you ingest food), and start with breakfast. A cereal with a high protein and fiber level is a good choice because it keeps you feeling full longer (not hungry). Kashi and Nature's Path brands have several high protein, high fiber choices. If these types of cereals give you too much gas, use Beano also. Studies show that people who eat breakfast and don't skip meals maintain lower body weights than people who skip meals.

Don't forget to keep your physical activity up also. You should be active (beyond normal daily activity) 60-90 minutes per day for good weight loss. Wear a pedometer and see how many steps you are currently taking. Increase your activity to get an additional 2000 steps each day. Work up to an eventual goal of 10,000 steps each day.

These recommendations are permanent lifestyle changes; not just for weight reduction. A sensible eating plan and enough physical activity are paths to good health.

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Sharron   Coplin, MS, RD, LD Sharron Coplin, MS, RD, LD
Former Lecturer
Food & Nutrition
College of Education and Human Ecology