Eye and Vision Care

Partial Loss of Vision in Right Eye

09/08/2009

Question:

I was biking and after 10 miles I stopped for a rest and to hydrate. After resting for a few minutes I began to lose sight from the bottom half of my right eye. It lasted for about a minute and slowly went away. I could see up but not down. I drank plenty of water and rested for 30 minutes and felt fine and resumed the excercise and had no recurrance. Was this related to exercise as it was the first time this ever happened? Thank You for your response.

Answer:

You did not tell me your age; but if you are over 50, you should see your physician for a cardiovascular work-up that may include a stress test.

It is possible that you had a transient stroke that blocked the flow of blood through one of your right eye's small retinal blood vessels. Since your vision eventually returned to normal, there is no permanent vision loss. But signs like this are warning flags for hypertension, high cholesterol, or plaque formation in your internal carotid (neck) or even cardiac (heart) blood vessels.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry