NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Wednesday, May 24, 2017
3 yr old hair loss
My daughter is 3 and this morning i was brushing her hair and a big clump of hair came out. we just recently moved and now use well water, could this be the cause?
Thank you very much for the question. It is difficult to say what the cause of the alopecia given the information that you have shared. There are a number of causes of alopecia in children including:
1) Traumatic: aggressive combing or brushing
2) Infection: fungal infections of the scalp (tinea capitis)
3) Systemic disorders: anemia, thyroid disease
4) Vitamin deficiency: vitamin a or zinc
5) Environmental exposures: arsenic, selenium, other heavy metals
I would talk with your pediatrician about potential disorders that could cause this. In addition, I have attached a website to the EPA that talks about well water safety. Having your well water tested for some heavy metals to insure that the levels are low.
Stephen E Wilson, MD, MSc
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati