Tuberculosis

Do I Have TB Drug Resistance?

09/11/2009

Question:

I was diagonised with pulmonery TB 5 months ago and i was put on Rifafour and continution of Rifinar for four months. Two months ago, i was feeling great and i started doing my favourite excercice, jogging. After two long runs in a span of three weeks, I started feeling tired, and now am having sweats at night and a chest pain. I have like 20 days to go to finish 6 months of therapy. A chest xray before i started running shows that the tb had been healed and only scars showed. Am yet to see my doctor and am worried that i could be resistant. I have not missed a dose in the entire duration of treatment. I am HIV negative.

However, when i started the TB treatment, my right lung was filled with fluid which was successfully removed. Does this cause the pain in my chest?

Answer:

Please go back to see your doctor. Your questions cannot be answered without more testing. Best of luck to you.

Go to the Tuberculosis health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine