Mouth Diseases

Bubble Underneath Left Side of Tongue

09/11/2009

Question:

My 12 year old sons skin underneath the left side of the tongue is inflated like an abnormal baloon. The skin is thin and almost see through(basically like the skin looks normally in that area.)It is about the size of a small walnut. He has popped it before but it has been coming right back within a week ,for about 1 1/2 months that I am aware of. What is this and with whom do I find treatment; a dentist or family practioner?

Answer:

What you are describing is a blocked salivary gland duct, or Mucocele, or mucous retention phenomena.  A Ranula or “Frog Belly” can result from traumatic injury to the duct, infection/inflammation to the duct or a salivary stone or sialolith.

I would probably refer you to an oral surgeon to handle your son's case.  An oral surgeon can identify the cause and surgically treat the problem (marsupialization).

Hope this helps.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine