Eye and Vision Care

My eye has turned bluish gray.

09/11/2009

Question:

I have had retinal detachnent in my right eye. had 2 vitrctomies and cataract surgery. Recently my eye pressure has turned from normal to low (about 2 to be exact.) Recently I have noticed a change in the color of my eyes from brown to a bluish gray. How can this be? I asked my doctor could this be possible and he said that it wasn`t happening but now I have been told by numerous people that nty eye had changed colors, so it wasn`t my imagination. If you have any insight on how this could be please share. Oh and since the cataract surgery I have been totally blind in this eye (about 5 months now.)

Answer:

I obviously cannot diagnose your symptoms without examining you.

But it is possible that inflammation inside your eye from four major eye surgeries (retinal detachment, 2 vitrectomies, and cataract surgery) caused the pigment in your iris to degenerate from hemorrhage, hypoxia (a lack of oxygen) or even infection. It is also very common to have the white part of your eye turn bluish due to extremely low intraocular pressure (12-20 is normal, 2 is not compatible with normal physiology) that can cause scleral (the outer layer of the eye) thinning.

Since you report total blindness in that eye now, I'm afraid the degeneration within the layers of your eye is permanent; and the only treatment goal for that eye now is to keep it comfortable (i.e., no pain) and cosmetically acceptable (i.e., no redness, no shrinking in size, and no movement backward into the orbit.) 

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry