Eye and Vision Care

Blood Clot of Newborn Baby

09/16/2009

Question:

I gave birth on September 7, 2009 of a 8lbs. baby girl with a blood clot at the white part of her right eye near the retina (newmoon shape) until now it`s still there. How dangerous is this? Can she still have a vit. k shots at this time?

Answer:

I am not too clear on exactly what you are describing; however what I think you are describing is a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This is a red area on the normally "white" part of the eye. It typically looks bad, but is usually not a big problem unless the subconjunctival hemorrhages are recurrent. If it is a one time event, it probably was due to trauma during birth and should slowly disappear within a few weeks.

I am not clear on whether or not your daughter has had her vitamin K shot or not, but usually they give this injection to babies at birth as their bodies do not have sufficient vitamin K when they are born. This is given to prevent a disorder known as hemorrhagic disease of the newborn (HDN).

Based on your statement, this is what I am thinking her condition is, and if it is a subconjunctival hemorrhage, then it is very mild and will clear up.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry