Kidney Diseases

79% Kidney Function

09/24/2009

Question:

I was recently diagnosed with PKD. I am 22 years old I have high blood pressure and have had high blood pressure for the past 4 years. My father also had PKD and my older sister found out a year ago she has it as well. I am told my kidneys are function at 78%. Is this normal? My sisters are functioning at 95% (she doesn`t have high blood pressure). Is this something that should be watched closely?

Answer:

Yes, it should be watched closely. You can develop worsening of your kidney function. Your blood pressure needs to be controlled to a normal level. You need to avoid medications that may be harmful to your kidneys such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). At some point dietary changes may be necessary. This is just an outline of the type of information you need to be acquainted with. You should have consultation with a nephrologist.

Treatment & Management of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas   Zipp, MD Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine