Eye and Vision Care

Is Cataract Surgery Now or Later?

I have a cataract in my left eye. I had a vitrctomy about a year and a half ago (not for detacment but I had some retinal peeling on the side of my retina.) My M.D. told me that the oil placed in my eye would eventally cause cataracts, and now I think I am beginning to see this. Recently (in the kast couple of months,) I noticed blurred vision in my eye. I work in education and it is most noticeable when I am at work (reading, taking notes from projector, etc.) I can drive as long as it is not real sunny but at times it`s difficult. I watch tv and with magnification, can surf the net. I am able to retire on disablity but I need this last year to carry my health insurance with me. I want to hold off cataract surgery until I am able to go on retirement. Do you think that I can get by with a stronger magnification eyeglass ( I have a 7+ prescription pair now) or should I do the surgery now? I use a magnifying glass at work now and it helps but at times it still is blurry. Please advise. Thank you. I am also blind in my right eye. I read that cataract surgery can cause retinal detachment so is it uncommon to remove the cataract and place the oil back in the eye to hold the retina steady?

I'm sorry that I cannot provide any specific recommendations without examining you. NetWellness is a public service that offers general health information, but not specific medical treatment advice.

You should return to your previous eye doctor - the one who has your records and knows the details of your case - and ask him/her about any future treatment options. Since you only have one good eye, I doubt that an eye surgeon would want to risk operating on it unless there was no other choice available. 

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry