Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health

Fracture of Thoracic spine



Hello I am 18 and am a college Freshman. I am set to play college basketball, the season just a month away. Last season (my senior year) I was diagnosed, through a bone scan, with a fracture to my T8 vertebrae, and believe it was caused by a softball injury! I took the summer off, and thought my back was better, but now that I`ve started working out, my back has started to hurt again. I don`t know if I want to risk playing at the sake of it getting worse and causing long term problems. I am planning on going to the doctor soon, but I don`t know how to tell if it`s worse. What kind of specialist should I see?


Hello, thank you for your question. I would recommend that you see a spine specialist, either a neurosurgeon who specializes in spinal surgery, or an orthopedic spine specialist. Alternatively, you could start by seeing a physiatrist (otherwise known as "physical medicine and rehabilitation" - don't confuse this with a psychiatrist), or a pain management doctor. Usually the types of fracture you're describing heal on their own, so your pain might not have anything to do with that previous injury. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University