Athletic Training

How Long Will the Healing Take for My Hip?

Beginning at the end of June I have barely been able to walk because my left hip hurts so bad. No accident and don`t know what caused it. The doctor says the bursa sac is very inflamed. I have been taking prescription Meloxicam for the inflamation. I have been been having adjustments weekly on my hip. August 12th I had a cortizone injection on my hip. It is doing Much better right now. I can walk on it a little better without much of a limp. It is at about 85% healed, will it return to 100% in time or not? I contacted the dr. yesterday to see if it was just a matter of time, did I need to continue my medication or have another injection. His reply was to stop taking the medication if I felt it was not helping. When will it be back to normal (is it just a time thing that will take a long time) - no pain and walking correctly on it once the inflammation is gone or will I always have problems with it?

Thank you for your question - I am glad to hear that your hip is on the mend.  It is hard to predict the recovery pattern for your pain and diminished function. Typically, you will get a rapid improvement of symptoms with initiation of treatment, but the remaining low grade pain may take longer to resolve.  I would continue to do activities that are pain-free and avoid things that irritate your hip which should facilitate a faster improvement.

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences