Eye and Vision Care

Severe Eye Flickering/Twitching/Pain

10/01/2009

Question:

hi, im a 30yr old male from sydney australia. i have been experienceing extremly bad eye flickering for about 2months now constantly. i have been told my right eye has early stages of (rounding of the eye) and short sighted which is corrected by glasses but now my left is cauing me sever discomfort and grief. its a flickering/twitching sensation in my actual eyeball. i have looked in the mirror seeing if it was my eye lid but i am yet to find anything. its a feeling of up and down movment at a high speed to the point i can barley focus. it tends to happen as soon as i wake up and when i am in well lit places or loooking well lit things e.g. comptuer screen or shopping centre. the optomitrist said it will go away (but it hasnt) and my doctor said it could be a migraine. nothing is helping and im going crazy please give me something to goto my doctor/optomitrist and get them to check for.

thanks

Answer:

I cannot make a definitive diagnosis without examining you, but you should definitely see another eye doctor for a second opinion. After the second eye doctor eliminates the most common causes of your symptoms (refractive error, ocular muscle imbalance, near-focusing problems, dry eyes), you may be referred to a specialist who will check you for systemic neurological diseases such as trigeminal neuralgia (also called tic douloureux) or even epilepsy. 

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry