Asthma

Breathing problem (not sure).

09/24/2009

Question:

Hello Dear Doctor, I am a physically fit person and actively involved in sports. From since I remember (when i was a kid), at any given time not both of my nostrils are completely open, i.e I use one nostril for breathing. This is NOT a problem for me in anyway, or nor does it affect my lifestyle in anyway at all. Only when I do sports or similar, I can breathe clearly through both the nostrils. Although it never has been a problem for me, could it be affecting me in anyway? I recently found out that I have high blood pressure (150/100) and my heartbeats per min are average 80, which I know that should be lower than this for a physically fit person. Please give me some advice on this. Sorry for the long question! Thanks in anticipation.

Answer:

Hello- It is extremely unlikely that your nostril breathing challenges are affecting you in any way. Particularly if you having no adverse symptoms or exercise intolerance. Your blood pressure needs attention and I would focus on that. Thanks for your question.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Jonathan P Parsons, MD, MSc Jonathan P Parsons, MD, MSc
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep