Urinary Disorders

Tube Connection

09/24/2009

Question:

My mother has had bi-lateral nephrostomy tubes for 11 years and has the nephrostomy tubes, then a connecting tube attached to a bard drainage bag. This is her set-up. She gets them irritagated every other day and new dressings put on. In the past several months, we have been experiencing a issue with the connecting tubes popping off and disconnecting from the drainage bags. You can actually sit and watch them slide off gradually. I don`t have to tell you that this is incovenient especially if you go out because they come off and of course drain all over the place. Any suggestions of why this is happening? She has not changed any of the supplies or procedures. We are out of suggestions and real tired of this happening. We are constantly taping the connection between the connecting tube and the drainage bag, but have to change that every day bc still comes apart. Please help my mother feel comfortable about herself and offer some suggestions.

Answer:

I would suggest that you discuss this with her doctor. Perhaps a different company makes a tube that will work better for her.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology