Eye and Vision Care

Glasses

10/01/2009

Question:

I have glasses that are a year old. I waiting on an appointment to get special test done on my eyes. Ny optomologist said that I might need prisms depending on the results of the tests. If I do need prisms do I need to get new glasses or is it like some kind of coating that they can but on my old ones?

Answer:

Usually prisms need to be incorporated into the spectacle prescription. Thus new lenses are typically needed when your eye doctor prescribes prisms. Under some circumstances a press-on or Fresnel prism can be applied to a spectacle lens. These are plastic films that are usually for children with eye-turns and cases of muscle paresis. Eye doctors limit their use because the quality of vision may not be as good, and over time they peel of or get dirty. They may also not be any cheaper than conventional prism lenses.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Mark  Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD Mark Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD
College of Optometry