Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Conductive hearing loss

09/28/2009

Question:

Dear Dr. I am 20 years old and I have a mild conductive hearing loss. When I was 3 years old I had an operation on both ears (tubes were inserted). Now I am a medical student and my loss of hearing are embarrasing me, and I can not sometimes keep following the lecturer because of this loss. I went to a hear aids centre but they told me to consult an ENT doctor first because the conductive loss usually can be solved surgically. So, If there is anything can be done to help me, please let me know.

Thank you 4 all

Answer:

I agree that you should get a repeat hearing test and see an otologist. If you have very mild conductive hearing loss, I would not recommend ear surgery (other than perhaps a PE tube for middle ear fluid or retraction due to Eustachian tube dysfunction). You may still end up wearing hearing aids, but see an otologist first.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program