Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Feeling of urination and anxiety

09/30/2009

Question:

My husband was in a recent car accident and suffered severe whiplash and a concussion. He has been out of work for almost 2 months and has been going to PT twice a week. Recently he has told me that it feels like he is “wetting” himself. He feels like he is actually urinating and that his pants are getting warm and wet. But when he checks himself, he is not even a little bit wet. He says it has never happened while he is alone. I have never heard of anything like this happening and I am wondering if this is an anxiety symptom, or a neurological symptom, concussion complications or what this could mean. I`m really worried about him, any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Answer:

Without knowing more details I would recommend getting an evaluation for this as a potential neurological symptom before I would consider this to be of a psychiatric origin.

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Emeritus