Versed Available in Pill Form?

10/01/2009

Question:

One of the "facts" supposedly printed after Michael Jackson`s death is that an empty prescrition container of Versed "pills" was found in his or the doctor`s room.

I`ve been an ICU nurse for 39 years and have never/ever heard of Versed in pill form, only syrup form or for IV/IM injection. Yet on this site (NetWellness) it specifically states that Versed is indeed available in pill form. On no other pharmacological online site, including FDA and PDR websites is it ever stated that Versed is available in pill form. I`m wondering just what is the correct answer to this; in the meantime I will ask our CCM pharmacist at work tomorrow if he is familiar with pill form Versed to settle a discussion.

This is quoted from this site on Versed info page: "Midazolam is usually given intravenously before or during surgery or medical procedures. Pills are also available. Midazolam, like other intravenous sedative drugs, is usually given in small initial doses. The effect of the drug is observed then more is given as needed." 

Answer:

Midazolam is available in tablet form. Versed is a brand name, and I am not sure whether or not Versed is available in tablet form.

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology