Myasthenia Gravis

MG specialist?

10/07/2009

Question:

Are there any known Dr`s in the US that specialize in Myasthenia Gravis? My daughters nuero is wonderful, but she has tried plasmapharisis, Cellcept, Immuran, Methotrexate, IVIG, etc....gets a boost from IVIG, feels great after plasma exchange (but has access problems)...immune suppresants tend to wipe out her white count and she has to quit them. I am willing to travel anywhere to see the best of the best.

Answer:

There are a number of neurologists who treat many patients with myasthenia gravis and who take excellent care of their patients. Two of the best known in the field of myasthenia gravis are Daniel Drachman (Johns Hopkins), and Donald Sanders (Duke). I would suggest that you contact them and talk over your daughters case. Then make an appointment with the one that you feel you will have the best "doctor-patient" working relationship.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology