Dentistry work

10/05/2009

Question:

I have had Type 1 Diabetes since 1970 and am going to have some dentistry done which is going to take about 5 hours - at the moment I take 1 injection of Lantus in the morning and then 1 injection of Novarapid each time I eat.

As this work is going to take so long they have asked me not to take any insulin at all - but I am a bit worried about not taking the background insulin (Lantus) Should I take it or not after all these are dentists not doctors.

hanks for your response

Answer:

Your instincts are right - you would not want to go without any insulin with type 1 diabetes.  You should talk with your doctor about how much and which types to take.  This needs to be individualized.  A common practice is to omit the rapid acting until able to take in food/calories and then decide how much of the long-acting insulin a given individual should take.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD